Dalwhinnie

Taking the name of the village where it is located, the Dalwhinnie Distillery was founded in the late 1890’s and is one of the highest working distilleries in the Scottish Highlands at 1,164ft. Its location in the Cairngorm National Park was chosen due to its access to water from Lochan-Doire-Uaine as well as the surrounding bogs providing a plentiful source of peat.

Refine Selection
Filters
View 5 products ›
5 Items

The distillery was founded by Alexander Mackenzie, John Grant and George Sellar in 1897 and was originally called the Strathspey Distillery.

Whilst production started well, the following year it quickly ran into financial trouble and went bankrupt, being sold to AP Blythe who changed it’s name to what we know today.

In 1905 the Dalwhinnie Distillery was subject to the very first US investment in Scotch whisky, with Cook & Bernheimer taking over control as they looked for malts to produce their own blended whisky for the American market. This investment was relatively short lived, when the Prohibition saw the end to their plans and the distillery sold to Lord James Calder in 1920.

Despite a closure of the distillery from 1934 until 1947, firstly due to a fire and later due to World War II, they have since gone on to become a world famous whisky, marketed by it’s now owners United Distillers under their Classic Malts label. 

Top