The Glenugie distillery was built on the site of an old windmill in east Scotland, close to the town of Peterhead. The sweet flavour of Glenugie was used extensively in blends with only a very few bottle of single malt being released both during the distillery’s operations and after it closed, making it a rare find.
Established in 1833 and production beginning in 1837, the Glenugie distillery only produced whisky for a single year before being converted into a brewery. The building was converted back into a distillery in 1873 and become very successful, with more than 90,000 gallons of its sweet blend being crafted every year. Falling silent between 1925 and 1937, it opened its doors again and underwent extensive renovation during the 50s under Seagar Evans & Co. Hit by the whisky slump in the 1980’s the distillery was closed for a final time and dismantled in 1983.